Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.6 Update
Mac OS X 10.5.6 Update (client)
The Mac OS X 10.5.6 client software is available as a 373MB download for Macs running Mac OS X 10.5.5 and a 668MB download for Macs running earlier versions of the Leopard operating system. A list of specific enhancements included in the release follows:
- Improves reliability of Address Book syncing with iPhone and other devices and applications.
- Improves the reliability of AirPort connections, including improvements when roaming in large wireless networks with an Intel-based Mac.
- Improves reliability of synchronizing files on a portable home directory.
- Fixes an issue in Mac OS X 10.5.4 and 10.5.5 in which managed users may not see printers that use the Generic PPD.
- Client computers that use UUID-based ByHost preferences now respect managed Screen Saver settings.
- Addresses an issue that could cause an encryption alert to appear in the chat window.
- Setting your iChat status to "invisible" via AppleScript no longer logs you out of iChat.
- Resolves an issue in which pasting text from a Microsoft Office document could insert an image rather than text.
- Includes general improvements to gaming performance.
- Includes graphics improvements for iChat, Cover Flow, Aperture, and iTunes.
- Includes fixes for possible graphics distortion issues with certain ATI graphics cards.
- Includes overall performance and reliability fixes.
- Improves Connection Doctor accuracy.
- Fixes an issue that could cause messages identified as junk to remain in the inbox.
- Fixes an issue that could cause Mail to append a character to the file extension of an attachment.
- Addresses an issue that could prevent Mail from quitting.
- Improves reliability when printing PDF attachments.
- Contacts, calendars, and bookmarks on a Mac automatically sync within a minute of the change being made on the computer, another device, or the web at me.com.
- Improves Apple File Service performance, especially when using a home directory hosted on an AFP server. Important: If you are using Mac OS X 10.5.6 (client) to connect to a Mac OS X Server 10.4-based server, it is strongly recommended that you update the server to Mac OS X Server version 10.4.11.
- Improves the performance and reliability of TCP connections.
- Improves reliability and performance for AT&T 3G cards.
- Updates the ssh Terminal command for compatibility with more ssh servers.
- Improves printing for the Adobe CS3 application suite.
- Improves printing for USB-based Brother and Canon printers.
- Addresses an issue in which a parentally-controlled account could be unable to access the iTunes Store.
- Includes general fixes for time limits.
- Resolves an issue that prevented adding allowed websites from Safari via drag and drop.
- Fixes issues that could cause Time Machine to state the backup volume could not be found.
- Improves Time Machine reliability with Time Capsule.
- Improves compatibility with web proxy servers.
- Includes Mac OS X security improvements. See this website for more information.
- Addresses inaccuracies with Calculator when the Mac OS X language is set to German or Swiss German.
- Improves the performance and reliability of Chess.
- Improves DVD Player performance and reliability.
- Performance improvements for iCal are included.
- Fixes an issue when running the New iCal Events Automator action as an applet.
- Adds a Trackpad System Preference pane for portable Macs.
- Improves compatibility with smart cards such as the U.S. Department of Defense Common Access Card.
- Updates time zone data and Daylight Saving Time rules for several countries.
Mac OS X 10.5.6 Server
Mac OS X 10.5.6 Server is available as a 469MB download for Macs running Mac OS X 10.5.5 Server and as a 883MB download for Macs running earlier versions of Leopard Server. Enhancements in the new version include:
- Improves performance and reliability of Apple File Service.
- Spotlight provides more reliable results when remote users search a server volume with Spotlight searching enabled. Important: This change takes effect when you enable Spotlight searching on a sharepoint. In order to take advantage of this improvement on a sharepoint where you have already enabled Spotlight searching, disable Spotlight searching, save, re-enable Spotlight searching, and save again. The sharepoint will remain online during this process, but Spotlight searching will be unavailable for a short time while the index is rebuilt.
- Fixes an issue that could make NFS exports unavailable at server startup.
- Podcast Producer now supports Digest-MD5 authentication, for improved compatibility with Active Directory users, and Kerberos authentication for single sign-on. Note: In order to use Single-Sign On in Podcast Capture, you must explicitly select that Authentication Type option in Preferences. For more information about enabling Single-Sign On for the Podcast service in an Open Directory environment, click here. For more information about enabling and disabling authentication methods on the server, see this article.
- Improves reliability of camera connections.
- Improves performance of Password Server replication.
- When deploying a system image created from a volume, the target computers will no longer have identical local KDC files. For more information, see this article.
- Added NetBoot/NetInstall model filters for recent MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air computers.
- Fixes an issue that could cause Server Admin to stop responding when propagating permissions on a folder which is on a volume other than the boot volume.
- Improves overall system reliability.
- Improves performance and reliability of TCP connections.
- Fixes an issue that could occur when ejecting a volume on a Promise VTrak RAID.
- Improves reliability of RAID Utility.
- Improves Mac OS X Server Security. For more information about the security content of Mac OS X Server 10.5.6 see this article.
- Mac OS X Server 10.5.6 also includes all other improvements delivered in the Mac OS X 10.5.6 Update (client) mentioned above.
Security Updates for Mac OS X 10.4.11 Client and Server
Apple also released Security Update 2008-008 for Macs running Mac OS X 10.4.11 . The patch is available as a 71.6MB download for PowerPC Macs running 10.4.11, or as a 163.2MB download for Intel Macs running 10.4.11.