Wednesday, February 15, 2006, 06:00 am PT (09:00 am ET)
Apple to ship 10 million Macs in 2006?Apple Computer is expected to ship a total of 10 million desktops and notebooks in 2006, according to a report from overseas.
Major manufacturing contractors Foxconn Electronics, Quanta Computer and Asustek Computer stand to benefit, the Chinese-langued Economic Daily News cited Taiwan PC manufacturers as saying.
Foxconn — otherwise known as Hon Hai — manufactures Apple's Mac mini computers, while Quanta has been taking orders for the PowerBook product line and Asustek the iBook line, according to a report by DigiTimes.
The Economic Daily News report further noted that Quanta has also won the bid to manufacture Apples MacBook Pro, which supports a 2GHz Intel Core Duo processor, and began shipping last week.
The reliability of this report is unknown.
Apple in the 2005 calendar year sold approximately 4.75 million Mac systems, according to calculations performed by AppleInsider. Sales of 10 million Macs in 2006 would represent over a 100 percent increase in sales year-over-year.
On Topic: General
- Review: Razer's Kraken Pro analog gaming headset
- Apple hires noted tech journalist Anand Lal Shimpi
- Samsung asks New Yorkers to compare Apple's iPad Air to Galaxy Tab S in new ad
- Apple's mysterious 2-story structure at site of Sept. 9 event drives frenzy even further
- Apple announces Sept. 9 event for expected 'iPhone 6' & 'iWatch' unveiling: 'Wish we could say more'