Cingular to be exclusive US Carrier for Apple iPhoneApple and Cingular jointly announced Tuesday that Cingular, the largest US wireless carrier, will be Apple's exclusive US carrier partner for the revolutionary new iPhone unveiled today.
As part of the multi-year partnership, Apple and Cingular said they are working together to provide innovative new features to mobile phone users, such as iPhone's pioneering and unique Visual Voicemail, a first on any mobile phone in the world.
"Apple chose Cingular because they are the best and most popular carrier in the US," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "We are thrilled to be offering our revolutionary new iPhone exclusively with Cingular, and look forward to working together with them to create some wonderful new features for our customers."
iPhone's unique Visual Voicemail was co-developed by Apple and Cingular, allowing users to go directly to any of their voice messages without listening to any of the prior messages.
iPhone will be available in the US beginning this June in a 4GB model for $499 and an 8GB model for $599, and will work in combination with Apple's iTunes running on either a PC or Mac.
iPhone will be sold in the US through Apple's retail and online stores, and through Cingular's retail and online stores, the companies said.
On Topic: General
- Apple's Campus 2 headquarters to feature visitor center with observation deck, store
- Windows 10 launches to favorable reviews, cautions about bugs and feature gaps
- Nokia debuts Ozo 360-degree VR camera for professional filmmakers
- Intel and Micron's new '3D XPoint' memory is 1000x faster, more durable than NAND
- Livescribe debuts note-taking, audio-recording Echo Smartpen 8GB Pro Edition