High-quality Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11n unboxing photosApple Inc. this week began to unleash the next-generation of Apple Wi-Fi, with the first shipments of its AirPort Extreme 802.11n Wireless Base Station making their way to select online customers and company retail stores.
If you're like us, you probably placed an order for one of these promising wireless network performance enhancers during the week of Macworld. And if you're like us, you're probably still waiting for that order to ship.
Even though our online order was placed way back when, it's not slated to leave Taiwan until around February 14. At the same time, however, we were able to swing by a local Apple retail store an pluck one off the shelf. Somewhat nonsensical from a customer relations standpoint, so pardon us while we grunt.
Nevertheless, they are shipping. If you're looking to pick one up this weekend, you best call around. While some Apple retail stores have received shipment, others have not. And there appears to no methodical procedure behind which stores are first to receive their inventory.
Anyway, the new AirPort Extremes, which weigh a couple of pounds, come nestled in rather uneventful packaging of relative dimensions. The router itself rests atop a cardboard platform bearing the "Designed by Apple in California" digression. Underneath are a power brick, power cord, AirPort Extreme install disc, setup guide, access point regulatory certification card and warranty pamphlet.
We'll have some additional details on the new base stations in the near future. In the meantime, enjoy our unboxing photos, below.
On Topic: General
- Ericsson unloads legal barrage against Apple in ongoing patent licensing dispute
- Former Apple exec Ron Johnson appointed to board of fashion e-tailer Nasty Gal, leads investment
- Apple looking for hardware and software engineers to build virtual reality displays
- Apple takes top spot in online order fulfillment in Q4 with average ship time of 2.5 days
- Apple's iWork for iCloud goes platform agnostic, open to everyone