Mossberg: Apple working on Adobe Flash support for iPhoneAn impending software update to Apple's iPhone will include a plug-in for the handset's Safari web browser that will finally let users view Adobe Flash media files, the Wall Street Journal's Walt Mossberg reports.
The technology columnist made the comments in a question and answer piece posted to his web blog, specifically in response to a question regarding the quality of the Apple handset's browsing experience and its current inability to play some web movie clips.
"At launch, the iPhone version of the Safari browser is missing some plug-ins needed for playing common types of Web videos. The most important of these is the plug-in for Adobes Flash technology," Mossberg wrote. "Apple says it plans to add that plug-in through an early software update, which I am guessing will occur within the next couple of months."
The columnist also noted having some success in connecting his iPhone to a friend's BMW dashboard system over Bluetooth.
"In my two-week test of the iPhone, I succeeded in connecting it without much trouble to the built-in audio system and microphone on a friends BMW. Almost instantly, the over 700 contacts I had on my test iPhone were displayed on the cars dashboard screen and calls could be made and received through the iPhone," he wrote."
Mossberg added, however, that the iPhone can use Bluetooth to connect only with cars and with wireless phone headsets. "It cannot use Bluetooth to transfer any data to or from a computer, to play music through stereo wireless headsets, or for any other purpose."
On Topic: General
- Apple's next Chinese Apple Store to open in Chongqing on March 7
- Shuttle drivers at Apple, other Silicon Valley tech companies vote for Teamsters representation
- Apple's Tim Cook takes hardline stance against consumer data sharing, government snooping and terrorism
- Apple's March 9 'Spring Forward' event steals thunder from rivals at Mobile World Congress
- AppleInsider podcast discusses Apple's March 9 event, net neutrality, Pebble Time & more