Apple releases MacBook Air update to fix processor idling bugApple on Friday night released an update for the MacBook Air meant to resolve a longstanding problem with processor idling as well as one with video playback.
The plainly titled MacBook Air Update (368KB) addresses a problem reported by users on Apple's support forums and elsewhere in which one of the two Core 2 Duo processors would shut down when heat became an issue, significantly slowing down the system until it cooled down.
The fix also mends some problems with video playback on the ultraportable notebooks.
Apple is careful to warn that third-party utilities used to adjust the clock speed and voltage of the processor may create problems and should be uninstalled before applying the update.
Regardless of whether or not the problem is apparent, Apple recommends the update for all MacBook Air owners and requires Mac OS X 10.5.4 or later.
On Topic: Current Hardware
- Last call: 18 hours left to get the lowest prices anywhere on Apple's MacBooks with coupons
- Deals: Final days to get the lowest prices anywhere on Apple's MacBook Airs and MacBook Pros with exclusive coupons
- Review: Apple's 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display
- Killer Deal: Free AppleCare with all iMac 5Ks & Mac Pros plus $50-$275 instant discounts, tax savings
- Save $50 on all iMac Retina 5Ks plus get a 3-Year AppleCare Protection Plan for free