Friday, September 19, 2008, 11:00 am PT (02:00 pm ET)
Apple's enhancements in SquirrelFish Extreme include "bytecode optimizations, polymorphic inline caching, a lightweight 'context threaded' JIT compiler, and a new regular expression engine that uses our JIT infrastructure," according to a Surfin' Safari post by Maciej Stachowiak.
In SunSpider benchmarks, the new SquirrelFish Extreme is "nearly twice as fast as the original SquirrelFish, and over 10 times the speed you saw in Safari 3.0, less than a year ago," Stachowiak wrote. "We are pretty pleased with this improvement, but we believe there is more performance still to come."
On Topic: Software
- Apple updates Final Cut Pro with Mac Pro optimizations
- Adobe releases Lightroom 5.3 with holiday discount, updates Camera Raw 8.3
- New Adobe Lightroom and Camera Raw release candidates fix bugs, add camera support
- Review: 1Password 4 for Mac makes managing all your passwords easy and secure
- Adobe refreshes Photoshop, Premiere Elements with two new versions