Thursday, April 08, 2010, 01:00 pm
Apple sells 450,000 iPads in 5 days, users download 3.5 million appsApple said Thursday that it has shipped over 450,000 iPads since the device went on sale this past Saturday, spurring 3.5 million app downloads for the new tablet device by its earliest adopters.
The Cupertino-based company said it's now serving over 185,000 applications through its App Store, including 3,500 designed for the iPad. In total, App Store shoppers have downloaded over 4 billion applications since the service went live.
The iBook's capability of the iPad has also seen a 'tremendous' response, with users downloading over 600,000 eBooks in the first 5 days.
In addition to the 450,000 iPads sold thus far, Apple also said it has shipped 50 million iPhones and 35 million iPod touches, for a total of 85.5 million multitouch devices running that are running the iPhone OS and are capable of accessing the App Store.
Each of those devices runs a flavor of Apple's Safari Web browser, helping the iPhone OS garner a commanding 64% share of the mobile browser market.
On Topic: Current Hardware
- Deals: dozens of new MacBook Air and MacBook Pro Retina configs at lowest prices anywhere
- New Mac Pro's radical design draws admiration, criticism via Photoshop
- Teardown of Apple's new 11" MacBook Air finds smaller SSD module, tweaked battery
- Apple's latest AirPort Time Capsule expectedly similar to redesigned AirPort Extreme
- Teardown of Apple's new AirPort Extreme finds enough empty space for a hard drive