Sunday, May 09, 2010, 06:00 pm PT (09:00 pm ET)
Apple begins accepting international iPad preordersApple on Sunday updated its online stores and began accepting preorders for both the Wi-Fi and 3G iPad models, a day earlier than the previously announced first sale date.
The preorder pages went online slightly early, as Apple had originally announced it would begin taking orders on Monday, May 10, in preparation for a May 28 launch. The international launch was previously delayed from a scheduled late April debut due to stronger than expected demand in the U.S.
Preorders are now being taken through Apple's online stores in Germany, the U.K., Australia, Switzerland, Spain, Italy, and France. It will also launch in Canada and Japan on May 28, but as of Sunday evening those nations' sites were not accepting preorders.
As with the U.S. launch, preorders of the iPad are limited to two per customer.
Last Friday, Apple announced an international launch date of May 28 for the nine countries that can now preorder the iPad. Prices for the hardware are as follows:
- 16GB - 479 Europe, £429 U.K., $549 Canadian, $629 Australian
- 32GB - 579 Europe, £499 U.K., $649 Canadian, $759 Australian
- 64GB - 679 Europe, £599 U.K., $749 Canadian, $879 Australian
Wi-Fi + 3G iPad
- 16GB - 579 Europe, £529 U.K., $679 Canadian, $799 Australian
- 32GB - 679 Europe, £599 U.K., $779 Canadian, $928 Australian
- 64GB - 779 Europe, £699 U.K., $879 Canadian, $1,049 Australian
The first glimpse at international data plan prices for the 3G model also came last week, when Orange U.K. revealed that it will offer four different pricing options, including a pay-as-you-go price plan. A recurring monthly plan with 3GB of 3G data and unlimited browsing at Wi-Fi hotspots costs £15 ($22.02 U.S.), while a £25 ($36.71 U.S.) plan offers 10GB of monthly bandwidth.
The 9.7-inch touchscreen device will launch in Austria, Belgium, Hong Kong, Ireland, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand and Singapore in July, and nine additional countries will be announced at a later date.
On Topic: Current Hardware
- Deals: MacBook Pro coupons; Mac Pros in stock; 60% off Harman Kardon BT headphones
- Rumor: Apple to phase out last non-Retina MacBooks with CD/DVD drive this year
- Deals: Lowest prices ever on 3 custom configured Haswell MacBook Pro Retinas
- Apple releases Mac Pro firmware update to address Power Nap fan control, USB device recognition issues
- Apple's holiday Mac shipments outpaced PC growth by largest margin in 5 years