News Corp's 'The Daily' to debut on Apple iPad Jan. 19 - reportThe Daily, a newspaper from Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation, will launch exclusively on Apple's iPad this month on Jan. 19, according to a new report.
Citing anonymous sources, Forbes reported Monday that The Daily will be introduced in just over a week. Leading up to the rumored Wednesday, Jan. 19 launch, the publication's official website, thedaily.com, has been updated with an iPad-style icon and the words "Coming Soon."
"The debut can't come soon enough for The Daily's staffers, who for weeks have been engaged in full-scale dry runs, cranking out dummy issues for what I've been told is a distribution list of 1,000 privileged readers," Jeff Bercovici wrote.
Murdoch, the CEO of News Corp., reportedly showed off the daily iPad-only newspaper to reporters under embargo at the Consumer Electronics Show last week. Earlier reports have suggested the publication will sell for 99 cents per week.
The publication is also expected to require an update to Apple's iOS mobile operating system for the iPad, allowing for recurring application subscriptions through software sold on the App Store. Some rumors have suggested that such an update could allow applications to update and download new issues in the background, making them instantly available to read in the morning when a user loads up a newspaper or magazine on their iPad.
The newly rumored launch date is just a few days later than the Jan. 17 date first suggested in December. The Daily will be a tablet-only newspaper that will debut on the iPad, and will not have a print or Web-based counterpart.
On Topic: App Store
- Gmail gets share sheet functions, Foursquare saves favorite places, Imgur overhauls design
- Disney's 'Show Your Disney Side' app for iPhone transforms you into your favorite character
- BitTorrent Sync gains new look, Mint for iOS picks up bill reminders, Sonos adds simpler Room access
- Google Play Music now stores 50K songs free, Apple's iTunes Match still at 25K songs for $25/year
- Tweetbot for iOS gets Twitter video and GIF support in latest update