Verizon publishes frequently asked iPhone 4-related questionsVerizon has answered a number of questions customers may have about the forthcoming launch of Apple's iPhone 4 on its network, addressing topics such as handset upgrade eligibility and data requirements.
The full iPhone 4 FAQ from Verizon is included below:
New & Existing Customer Eligibility
1. Can I transfer my service from my current wireless service provider to Verizon Wireless?
- Yes, if your number is portable, you can bring your existing number from your current wireless or landline service provider to Verizon Wireless. To check if you're eligible to port, or to check the status of a current port request, click here.
2. Should I cancel my existing service before porting?
- No. Your number must remain active. Canceling your service prior to porting will prevent you from keeping your number. Please note: You may be responsible to your old service provider for any contractual requirements and applicable charges, including an early termination fee, on your old account.
3. How long will it take to port my number?
- Wireless to wireless ports generally should take no more than three hours to one day, but could take longer. Landline to wireless ports generally should take no more than 4 days, but could take longer. Please note: Actual processing time may vary depending on the complexity of the port, existing volumes between carriers and your old service provider.
4. How will I know when the port in to Verizon Wireless is complete?
- Verizon Wireless will send a free text message to your phone notifying you that your new service is fully activated.
5. Do I need to sign up for a 2 year agreement?
- When purchasing iPhone at the 2 year promotional price a new agreement is required. However, you will also have the option to purchase iPhone at full retail price, which will not require you to sign a long-term agreement.
6. Will existing customers be able to redeem their New Every Two credit?
- Yes, existing customers will be able to take advantage of their New Every Two credit if eligible, and use it towards the purchase of iPhone (may not be available at all agent locations).
7. Will Verizon Wireless be offering an early upgrade promotion?
- No, Verizon Wireless is not offering any early upgrade promotion at this time.
1. Are there minimum service and data pricing requirements?
- Yes, iPhone customers will need to choose from any of the current Nationwide plans. Customers will also be required to activate a data package, pricing will be announced at a later date.
1. I currently have an iPhone with AT&T. Can I keep my existing version of iPhone?
- No, in order to take advantage of the nations largest and most reliable wireless network, you will need an iPhone 4 that works on the Verizon Wireless network.
2. Can I upgrade to an iPhone even though I am not eligible to upgrade?
- If you are not eligible to upgrade, you cannot upgrade at promotional pricing today, but you can pay full retail price and upgrade your phone if you would like to.
3. How much will iPhone cost?
- $199.99 for the 16GB model, and $299.99 for the 32GB model with a new 2 year agreement.
4. When can I purchase iPhone?
- iPhone 4 will be available for pre-order to Verizon Wireless customers only, on a first come, first serve basis via VerizonWireless.com, on or around February 3rd 2011 details to be confirmed a week prior by Verizon Wireless. New and existing customers can purchase in select channels on February 10th 2011.
5. I am an existing customer and Id like to go into a store to pre-order iPhone, will I be able to place my order in store?
- No, iPhone will only be available for pre-order online for both consumer and business customers.
6. Can I go to an Apple store to purchase and activate the phone?
- Yes, beginning on February 10th, you can visit an Apple Retail store to purchase and activate. However, prior to visiting, please make sure to check your upgrade eligibility if you are an existing Verizon Wireless customer.
8. Do you anticipate high demand for iPhone 4?
- We do expect that iPhone 4 will be in high demand. In the event that iPhone 4 is not available in stores after February 10th, you can place your order in store and have the phone shipped directly to your billing address. Shipments will take place on a first come, first serve basis. No billing will take place until shipments are made.
1. If Im an existing Verizon Wireless customer, how do I transfer my contacts?
- In order to transfer contacts, download and run Backup Assistant on your existing phone before receiving your new iPhone. Click here for more details, and for step-by-step instructions on how to transfer your contacts from your existing phone to iPhone. If you already keep your contacts on your Mac or PC, you can use iTunes to sync them to your new iPhone 4. iTunes syncs contacts with applications such as Mac OS X Address Book, Yahoo! Address Book, and Google Contacts on a Mac, or with Yahoo! Address Book, Google Contacts, Windows Address Book (Outlook Express), Windows Contacts (Vista and Windows 7), or Microsoft Outlook 2003, 2007, or 2010 on a PC.iPhone 4 can also sync your contacts over the air using MobileMe or Microsoft Exchange. If your current device cannot sync contacts with any of these options, you may need to re-enter your contacts on your new iPhone 4 manually.
2. Will my existing voice mail transfer over when I activate my iPhone?
- No, all existing voice mails will be lost when transferring over to iPhone. Click here for more details, and for step-by-step instructions on how to save your existing voice mail.
3. Can I save my voice mails?
- Yes, click here for more details, and for step-by-step instructions on how to save your existing voice mail.
iPhone and iTunes
1. Will the iPhone work on Verizon Wireless' 4G LTE network?
- iPhone 4 works on Verizon Wireless' 3G network.
2. Do I need iTunes to set up my iPhone?
- Yes, you need to use iTunes 10.1 or later to set up your iPhone for the first time. If you'd like to make purchases from the iTunes Store or App Store, you can create a new Apple ID or specify an existing Apple ID during set up. For corporate users, you may need to contact your wireless administrator for additional information on installing iTunes.
3. If I already have an iTunes account, can I use it with my new iPhone 4 on Verizon Wireless?
- Yes, during set up, you can specify your existing Apple ID.
4. Will I be able to sync content and iOS apps that I already have in iTunes to my new iPhone 4?
5. Will I be able to buy apps via the App Store?
- You can search for, browse, review, purchase, and download iOS apps from the App Store directly to iPhone. Apps that you download and install from the App Store on iPhone are backed up to your iTunes library the next time you sync iPhone with your computer. When you sync iPhone, you can also install apps youve purchased or downloaded from the iTunes Store on your computer.
6. What happens to any existing apps that I have purchased on my existing Verizon Wireless handset?
- The apps purchased on your existing handset will not work on iPhone 4.
7.Will I be able to buy apps via the App store?
- You can search for, browse, review, purchase, and download apps from the App Store directly to iPhone. Apps that you download and install from the App Store on iPhone are backed up to your iTunes library the next time you sync iPhone with your computer. When you sync iPhone, you can also install apps youve purchased or downloaded from the iTunes Store on your computer.
8. Will any Verizon Wireless apps be available on iPhone?
- iPhone will have the 3G Mobile Hotspot app pre-installed, and it will also have other popular apps available in the market such as VZ Navigator, and V CAST Media Manager.
9.What happens to any existing apps that I have purchased on my Verizon Wireless handset?
- Although many of the same apps may be available on iPhone, those apps already purchased on your existing handset will not be available on your iPhone.
10. Will Verizon carry accessories for iPhone?
11. If I have an iPhone 4 on another wireless carrier and switch to an iPhone 4 on Verizon Wireless, will all of my accessories be compatible?
- Most accessories should work, however you may find that cases and covers could be different depending on the product manufacturer.
12. Can I use my iPhone 4 while traveling abroad?
- Yes, customers can use iPhone for voice and text in over 40 countries with data service in over 20 countries. For service availability and rate information, visit International Roaming Rates and Coverage. When travelling outside of these 40 destinations, the Global Travel program is the perfect short-term solution for the occasional or infrequent global traveler who needs to stay in touch when travelling internationally.
1. Who do I call for support or general questions?
- Verizon Wireless customers with general support questions can contact customer service by dialing *611 from your cell phone, or (800) 922-0204 from a landline, Monday-Sunday 6am-11pm.
2. How will Verizon Wireless continue to maintain the largest and most reliable 3G network in America with the launch of iPhone 4?
- Verizon Wireless has invested more than $60 billion since it was formed $5.7 billion on average every year to increase the coverage and capacity of its premier nationwide network and to add new services. Verizon Wireless' 'most reliable network' claim is based on network studies conducted by test men and women who drive 100 specially-equipped vehicles more than 1 million miles annually to test network performance, call quality, and data network performance. Verizon Wireless uses the results of its frequent network tests to maintain and fine-tune the company's network on a regular basis as part of its ongoing quality maintenance programs and annual capacity planning.
1. Can I exchange a device that I recently purchased for iPhone?
- Yes, we will gladly accept returns or make exchanges on all wireless devices and accessories purchased from Verizon Wireless within 30 days of purchase (14 days for tablets). To make an exchange, return the merchandise (including device, charger, battery, instructions, and any other components) in the ORIGINAL box. All merchandise must be in like-new condition and accompanied by the original receipt. Shipping charges may apply to exchange merchandise sent to you by Verizon Wireless. A restocking fee of $35 ($70 for netbooks and tablets) applies to any second return or exchange of a wireless device (excluding Hawaii).
On Topic: iPhone
- Yahoo expected to launch messaging app at New York City press event
- T-Mobile adds Apple Music to list of streaming services for cap-free Music Freedom
- UK banks HSBC, First Direct go live with promised Apple Pay support
- Supply chain evidence of 4-inch 'iPhone 6c' disappears, analyst says
- Apple to greatly expand retail presence in India with 500 'Authorized Mobility Resellers'