Sprint estimated to sell 6 million more US iPhones for Apple in 2012Adding Sprint as an iPhone carrier this fall could help Apple's growth grow from 30 to 37 percent, adding 6 million more iPhone users over the next calendar year.
According to a note by analyst Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray, the addition of Sprint to Apple's US carrier mix, as reported to be in the cards by the Wall Street Journal, would increase Apple's estimated 2012 phone sales from 111 million to 117 million.
The estimate is modeled after Verizons' sales of 4.6 million iPhone 4 units in the first half of the year. The analyst expects Verizon to sell 12 million iPhones in its first year of sales, roughly 11 percent of its phone mix.
If Sprint sells a similar percentage of iPhones, it would amount to 6 million new sales for Apple next year across its 52 million subscribers.
In the most recent quarter, AT&T sold about 3.6 million iPhones and Verizon sold 2.3 million, together accounting for about 30 percent of Apple's global smartphone sales.
On Topic: iPhone
- Apple Pay picks up over 20 more US banks including Texas' Moody National
- Dish Network ventures from satellite TV to iPhone repair with new fixit service
- Apple Pay gets support for prepaid cards with Boon - only in the UK
- Indian government turns down Apple request to import used iPhones for sale, report says
- Apple reportedly increases iPhone SE chip orders amid greater-than-expected demand