Tuesday, August 23, 2011, 03:30 pm PT (06:30 pm ET)
Sprint estimated to sell 6 million more US iPhones for Apple in 2012Adding Sprint as an iPhone carrier this fall could help Apple's growth grow from 30 to 37 percent, adding 6 million more iPhone users over the next calendar year.
According to a note by analyst Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray, the addition of Sprint to Apple's US carrier mix, as reported to be in the cards by the Wall Street Journal, would increase Apple's estimated 2012 phone sales from 111 million to 117 million.
The estimate is modeled after Verizons' sales of 4.6 million iPhone 4 units in the first half of the year. The analyst expects Verizon to sell 12 million iPhones in its first year of sales, roughly 11 percent of its phone mix.
If Sprint sells a similar percentage of iPhones, it would amount to 6 million new sales for Apple next year across its 52 million subscribers.
In the most recent quarter, AT&T sold about 3.6 million iPhones and Verizon sold 2.3 million, together accounting for about 30 percent of Apple's global smartphone sales.
On Topic: iPhone
- Apple to stick with Samsung for A8 chip, final manufacturing prep underway - report
- AT&T drops price of 2GB no-contract plan by $15, T-Mobile doubles down on 'Simple Choice'
- Report: iPhone 5s to soon account for 1 in 5 iPhones, 5c growth stagnant
- Russia's Megafon deal with Apple, Inc. guarantees sales of 750k iPhones over 3 years
- Pebble adds eBay, Evernote & Time Warner as latest smart watch app partners