Thursday, December 29, 2011, 12:36 pm PT (03:36 pm ET)
Apple has no plans to release 'iPad 3' or television at Macworld or CESDispelling a questionable rumor that Apple would unveil a third-generation iPad at the forthcoming Macworld conference, a new report plainly states Apple has no such plans.
Citing "a number of" sources, Jim Dalrymple at The Loop reported on Thursday that rumors of a so-called "iPad 3" being announced at Macworld|iWorld 2012 are "completely false." He also went on to say that the next iPad won't be shown at the Consumer Electronics Show in January, either.
In addition, Apple will not show off its much-rumored television set at either show, the sources reportedly said. Rumors of a full-fledged Apple HDTV have picked up considerable steam in recent months, but most reports have said the device will arrive in mid-to-late 2012 at the earliest.
Dalrymple's report comes in response to a story published on Wednesday by Taiwanese technology industry publication DigiTimes. The Far East news source, which has a hit-or-miss track record, claimed that Apple would show off both a high-end and mid-range iPad at the Macworld conference on Jan. 26, 2012.
The report was immediately questionable because Apple announced in 2008 that it would no longer be attending the Macworld Expo and would instead unveil products at its own media event. True to its word, Apple has not attended the Macworld Expo since 2009.
On Topic: iPad
- Review: FiftyThree's Pencil Bluetooth stylus
- Upgraders jumpstart Apple's 'iPad Christmas' with 175% surge in trade-ins of old iPads for cash
- iPad agreement between Apple & China Mobile predicted to follow iPhone launch
- Black Friday propels iPad Air growth by 51%, iPhone 5c surges 26%
- Rumor: Apple considering 12.9-inch iPads with 2K and 4K resolutions for 2014 launch