Apple releases OS X Mountain Lion Developer Preview 3Apple on Wednesday supplied developers with the third preview build of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, giving developers a chance to test out the latest version of the prerelease software.
According to people familiar with the latest build, a number of known issues remain in Mountain Lion Developer Preview 3. They include a bug that can occur on systems with FileVault enabled where a password dialog may not appear at boot time.
In addition, iTunes is said to no longer sync Notes, and the photo browser in Apple's Mail application cannot access the iPhoto library.
The third build also includes an error where Back to My Mac doesn't work for the first five minutes after rebooting. Those familiar with the build said that the DVD Player also may not launch after inserting a disc.
The pre-release software also reportedly has a handful of issues with the new Game Center for OS X. Currently, no "Top Games" are displayed in the "Me" tab, and recommendations are not shown in the "Games" tab either.
Multiplayer gaming between OS X and iOS is said to not currently be available with Game Center on Mountain Lion Developer Preview 3. The application also does not currently display game detail information such as pricing.
As before, the OS X Mountain Lion Developer Preview is only supported on a specific list of Macs that support running on a 64-bit kernel:
- iMac (Mid 2007 or later)
- MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, Late 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
- MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later), (15-inch, Mid/Late 2007 or later), (17-inch, Late 2007 or later)
- MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
- Mac Mini (Early 2009 or later)
- Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
Apple provided developers with the second preview of Mountain Lion in mid-March. The software is due for public release on the Mac App Store this summer.
On Topic: Mac OS X
- New adware scripts mouse clicks to access OS X Keychain, could lead to password theft
- Apple releases 8th developer, 6th public betas of OS X 10.11 El Capitan
- Apple releases Logic Pro X 10.2, MainStage 3.2 updates with Alchemy synthesizer
- VMware launches Fusion 8 with Windows 10 & OS X El Capitan support
- Apple issues sixth Xcode 7 beta to developers with minor bug fixes