Apple preparing first beta of OS X 10.8.3Apple on Wednesday began inviting developers to test the next update to its Mountain Lion operating system, signaling that a beta of OS X 10.8.3 will arrive soon.
People familiar with the software indicated to AppleInsider that select members of Apple's developer community were provided with invitations on Wednesday. Such invitations are sent out ahead of the introduction of a new beta.
No details on exactly what OS X 10.8.3 will include are available. The pre-release beta period allows developers to test their applications and find potential bugs before the update is released to the public.
The last update to Mountain Lion, OS X 10.8.2, was issued in mid-September. It was a major update that added system-wide integration with the social networking site Facebook.
Mountain Lion debuted in July on the Mac App Store as a $20 upgrade. It also comes preinstalled on all new Macs.
On Topic: Software
- Adobe releases Photoshop and Premiere Elements 14 for Mac with new tools
- Parallels Desktop 11 launches with support for El Capitan, Windows 10, Cortana and more
- Adobe releases Photoshop and Premiere Elements 13 for Mac with new editing tools
- Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac launches with OS X 10.10 Yosemite support, speed boosts, more
- Microsoft to release free version of OneNote for Mac later this month - report