Monday, November 05, 2012, 07:12 am PT (10:12 am ET)
Siri serves Fandango movie ticket purchases in iOS 6.1The first developer beta of iOS 6.1 includes links to purchase movie tickets through Fandango when searching for showtimes with Siri.
In current public releases of iOS 6 and 6.0.1, the personal assistant found on the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch will give users showtimes for films playing in nearby theaters. Directions to the theater can also be obtained, but users are not given a quick way to buy tickets.
But with the first developer beta of iOS 6.1 released last week, Siri now offers integration with Fandango. When theaters are listed, those that support the Fandango service now show a ticket icon to the right.
When an individual movie is selected, users are also presented with a link to "Buy Tickets," complete with the Fandango logo. Tapping the link then launches the iOS Fandango application, if the user has it installed.
Released in September, iOS 6 enhanced Siri by adding abilities to launch individual applications, find sports scores, make dinner table reservations, and check movie times.
iOS 6.1 remains in beta for developer testing, and no timetable has been given for the software update's release. A minor update, iOS 6.0.1, was issued last week to address a number of bugs related to Wi-Fi connectivity, screen glitches, the camera flash, and Exchange accounts.
On Topic: iPhone
- Rumor: Sapphire display seen as unlikely for 'iPhone 6' amid production woes
- Ford ditches BlackBerry for Apple, will deploy 9,300 iPhones among employees
- Apple, Samsung shed smartphone share in Q2 as market continues to explode
- Hilton to roll out digital check-ins, smartphone room keys in new tech push
- Purported 5.5-in. iPhone logic board surfaces alongside 'iPhone 6' part in new photos