Monday, November 05, 2012, 07:12 am PT (10:12 am ET)
Siri serves Fandango movie ticket purchases in iOS 6.1The first developer beta of iOS 6.1 includes links to purchase movie tickets through Fandango when searching for showtimes with Siri.
In current public releases of iOS 6 and 6.0.1, the personal assistant found on the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch will give users showtimes for films playing in nearby theaters. Directions to the theater can also be obtained, but users are not given a quick way to buy tickets.
But with the first developer beta of iOS 6.1 released last week, Siri now offers integration with Fandango. When theaters are listed, those that support the Fandango service now show a ticket icon to the right.
When an individual movie is selected, users are also presented with a link to "Buy Tickets," complete with the Fandango logo. Tapping the link then launches the iOS Fandango application, if the user has it installed.
Released in September, iOS 6 enhanced Siri by adding abilities to launch individual applications, find sports scores, make dinner table reservations, and check movie times.
iOS 6.1 remains in beta for developer testing, and no timetable has been given for the software update's release. A minor update, iOS 6.0.1, was issued last week to address a number of bugs related to Wi-Fi connectivity, screen glitches, the camera flash, and Exchange accounts.
On Topic: iPhone
- Apple's iOS nabbed 76% of small & medium business device activations in 2013, study says
- iPhone dominance in user engagement, developer payouts trumps unimportant market share stats - analyst
- Former head of Google patent strategy appointed to run U.S. patent agency
- China Mobile Beijing webpage hints at imminent iPhone preorders
- Walmart to cut $72 off iPhone 5c and 5s pricing in holiday sale