Apple squashes fan control, framerate & Power Nap bugs in 15" Retina MacBook Pro updateApple on Thursday issued a software update for owners of its 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display, fixing a number of bugs, including one that could affect system fan control.
MacBook Pro Retina SMC Update v1.1 also resolves a rare issue where users could experience slow framerates when playing graphics-intensive games on the 15-inch system. It also fixes bugs related to Power Nap and wake from sleep functions.
The 504-kilobyte update requires OS X 10.7.5 or later for Lion users, or OS X 10.8.2 or later for those running Mountain Lion.
Just last week, AppleInsider highlighted fan speed issues reported by owners of Apple's latest MacBook Pro models with Retina displays. Users found that the fan speed would unexpectedly spike, and suggested the problem may have to do with the new Sandisk solid-state drives in the systems.
Apple surprised last month when it refreshed its MacBook Pro with Retina display models with slightly faster processors and lower prices. The new models are between 3 and 5 percent faster than their predecessors, but are priced up to $200 cheaper.
On Topic: MacBook Pro
- It's Back: Free Apple TV and the lowest prices anywhere on every MacBook + AppleCare bundle (save $200-$800); iMacs & Mac Pros too
- Deepest Discount Ever: $700 off Apple's 15-inch MacBook Pro (2.6GHz, 16GB, 1TB, 750M)
- Exclusive Deals: 14 Macs at their lowest prices anywhere (up to $150 off MacBook Airs, $300 off MacBook Pros & $200 off iMacs)
- Last Call: Free Apple SuperDrive and the lowest prices anywhere on MacBook + AppleCare bundles (save $200-$800); iMacs & Mac Pros too
- Best of Cyber Monday: up to $100 off iPads, up to $600 off Macs, & Free Apple TVs with new Mac & AppleCare purchases