Friday, April 05, 2013, 12:20 pm PT (03:20 pm ET)
T-Mobile carrier update brings LTE, Visual Voicemail for unlocked iPhone 5A software update released on Friday will give iPhone 5 users on T-Mobile access to the carrier's LTE network, in addition to adding a number of other features like Visual Voicemail
T-Mobile on Friday updated its support forums (via TmoNews) to detail the new features the carrier update will bring. All eligible iPhones using a T-Mobile SIM card will now have access to Visual Voicemail, the Commercial Mobile Alert System, and LTE connectivity on T-Mobile's AWS spectrum for iPhone 5 users.
The update also brings HD Voice to T-Mobile iPhone 5 users, and it contains device/network optimizations that will improve battery life.
The update is restricted to iPhones running iOS 6.1.x or higher. Rumors of the update leaked earlier this week, and it has rolled out as predicted.
T-Mobile's network currently hosts roughly two million iPhone customers using unlocked devices, adding about 100,000 more per month. The carrier will begin officially carrying Apple's smartphone on April 12, with a 16GB iPhone 5 available for $99. Pre-orders for the device began on Friday.
On Topic: iPhone
- Marissa Mayer wants Apple to ditch Google for Yahoo! as default iOS search engine
- Apple launches smaller-capacity 8GB iPhone 5c in Italy, Sweden, Netherlands, Czech Republic, more
- Case purportedly for Apple's 'iPhone 6' supports claims of power button on upper right side
- Samsung email targeted Steve Jobs' death as "our best opportunity to attack iPhone"
- Apple joins tech heavyweights, wireless carriers in smartphone anti-theft initiative