Nokia teases unveiling of new Lumia Windows Phone at May 14 eventNokia is expected to unveil its response to Apple's iPhone 5 at a newly announced Lumia smartphone media event set for May 14 in London.
The Finnish handset maker sent out invitations to its event on Thursday, according to TechnoBuffalo, in which the company promised the "Nokia Lumia story" will continue. Members of the press have been invited to "see what's next," and the invitations have fueled speculation that the company may unveil its awaited Lumia 928 or Lumia EOS premium smartphones.
Nokia's current Lumia 920 (left) and Lumia 820 (right).
Nokia's unannounced Lumia EOS and Lumia 928 have been poorly kept secrets. Recent reports pegging the still-rumored Lumia 928 for launch next month on U.S. carrier Verizon, while details on the Lumia EOS have been less concrete.
The Lumia 928 is said to have a metal body with a 4.5-inch touchscreen, 8-megapixel camera, and wireless charging capabilities. The Lumia EOS is said to be a PureView Windows Phone with a whopping 41-megapixel camera.
Last September, before Apple unveiled the iPhone 5, Nokia took the wraps off its current flagship smartphone, the Lumia 920. The company has since announced low-end Lumia devices intended for emerging markets, but has not announced a new premium Windows Phone that will presumably serve as Nokia's response to the iPhone 5.
Nokia CEO Stephen Elop was questioned about rumors of the Lumia 928 in an interview last month, but he declined to give any details. While Elop participated to promote Nokia's new entry-level Lumia handsets, the TV segment instead gained attention because the CEO threw the interviewer's iPhone on the floor.
On Topic: Microsoft
- Apple backs Microsoft in data privacy fight against U.S. government
- Ford drops Microsoft's Windows Embedded, enabling support for Apple's CarPlay, Android Auto
- Massive, sophisticated "Inception - Cloud Atlas" malware infects Windows and Android but can't exploit Apple's iOS without jailbreak
- Microsoft launches new MSN apps for news, health, sports, finance & food
- Microsoft acquires iOS email app Acompli, plans to integrate with Outlook