Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock for Mac now shipping for $299The Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock, first announced in January of 2012, is now available for purchase for $299, more than a year after the Mac accessory was unveiled.
The docking station allows users to have instant access to 8 ports by connecting just one high-speed Lightning cable to their Mac. The Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock includes:
- One Gigabit Ethernet port
- One Firewire 800 port
- One Thunderbolt port for daisy-chaining up to five additional Thunderbolt devices
- One 3.5 millimeter headphone output jack
- One 3.5 millimeter audio input jack
- Three USB 3.0 ports with max data transfer of 2.5Gbps
- Cable management channel
The Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock is compatible with all recent Macs equipped with Thunderbolt ports, including the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro. Belkin boasts that the high speed of Thunderbolt allows users to download a high-definition feature film in 30 seconds, or sync a year's worth of continuous music in 10 minutes.
The Thunderbolt Express Dock was first announced by Belkin at the Consumer Electronics Show in early 2012. At the time, the company said the accessory would become available last September, but that launch date was missed.
Since the original unveiling, the hardware has been upgraded to include three USB 3.0 ports. The originally announced hardware featured USB 2.0 ports running at slower speeds.
But the shipping accessory has also lost an HDMI out port, which was also initially planned to be included with the docking station.
On Topic: Current Hardware
- Apple adds 5K support to MacBook Pro as target display mode remains absent for Retina iMac
- Apple upgrades some 27" non-Retina iMac orders to 5K model following price cut
- Apple lowers price of 5K iMac, adds new $1,999 configuration
- Apple launches new 15-inch MacBook Pro with Force Touch trackpad
- Apple discontinues 15" MacBook Pro BTO models ahead of Force Touch refresh