Monday, May 06, 2013, 04:27 pm PT (07:27 pm ET)
Facebook Messenger gets stickers, swipe-to-delete functionality in updateIn an update to its standalone messaging app on Monday, Facebook added so-called "stickers" from the company's flagship iOS app and reinstated swipe gestures to delete conversations from the inbox.
Facebook first introduced stickers, or large art-style emoticons, in April when the social network took a few features from its Facebook Home Android launcher, and ported them over to the main iOS app . Aside from stickers, the flagship received "chat heads" and a new news feed.
Now available in Messenger, stickers can be downloaded in packs through the sticker basket. Unlike emoticons, which need to first be selected before hitting "send," stickers are sent with one tap. Stickers will be rolling out to all users over the next few weeks.
The second major addition for Messenger version 2.4 is actually a feature that was deprecated in a prior version of the app. According to the release notes, users have been requesting that the swipe-to-delete function return for the app's main inbox screen. The feature works in much the same way as Apple's Mail app, which allows users to delete email strings with a swipe gesture.
Facebook Messenger comes in at 18.2MB and can be downloaded for free from the App Store
On Topic: App Store
- Waze for Apple's iOS adds Waze Places crowdsourced POI system
- After iOS 8.0.2, Apple gives HealthKit apps the green light on iPhone App Store
- Skype for iPhone, Google Chrome updated with iOS 8 enhancements
- How to start an iOS 8 Family Sharing account to share apps, music, movies & more
- Apple updates iWork for iOS suite with support for iOS 8, stability fixes