Waze iOS app integrates Facebook events to live maps in updateCrowd-sourced mapping service and iOS app Waze on Thursday pushed out an update that brings in-app integration with Facebook events, as well as other improvements like user interface tweaks and realtime "beeping."
Waze version 3.7 comes amidst a whirlwind of speculation surrounding a possible acquisition, with big tech players Apple, Facebook and most recently Google rumored to be in talks with the firm. Apple CEO Tim Cook on Tuesday confirmed the company never put in a bid for Waze, while dealings with Facebook are said to have recently fallen apart.
More substantial to consumers is today's update, which brings a deep tie-in with Facebook's events feature. With the new functionality, users can sign into the social network and have their navigation list display events just before they are scheduled to take place. Tapping on the event will generate a route without the need to enter a physical address.
The new feature is accompanied by a "friends bar," which shows friends who are headed to the same location, as well as when they will get there. Tapping on a friend's icon will bring up more detail about their estimated time of arrival.
In addition to the Facebook integration, Waze 3.7 offers exlusive moods for those "Wazers" who edit maps, realtime beeps and menu optimization.
From the release notes:
Waze version 3.7 comes in at 29.2MB and can be downloaded for free from the App Store.
On Topic: App Store
- Lyft, Seamless & Amazon Instant Video add iPhone 6 & 6 Plus screen support; JetBlue gains Touch ID
- Algoriddim djay Pro comes to Mac, TurboTax debuts new iOS app for tax season
- Apple to instate country-specific app taxes in EU starting Jan. 1
- Pixelmator unveils major updates for iPad and Mac, Fleksy adds extensions and GIFs
- Updated Google Drive gets iOS 8 extensibility support, Instagram adds filter management and new filters