Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 03:20 pm PT (06:20 pm ET)
Facebook for iOS adds privacy options and status icons in updateFacebook on Tuesday released an update for its iOS app, bringing new sharing controls for posts, status icons and the ability to start conversations from a photo received in messages.
While not a major update, Facebook version 6.2 brings a few functional improvements to the universal iOS app, including moves to push the use of graphics in lieu of text.
The new icons feature allows users to set and view a stylized emoticon character for their status alongside the usual text. There is a wide selection of icons from which to choose, including "Feeling, Watching, Reading, Listening to, Drinking, Eating, and Playing."
Users also have more control over who can view their posts by clicking on the small arrow on the top right of a post's box. The feature is in line with Facebook's recent push toward a safer and more secure user experience.
Finally, Facebook now allows users to start conversations from photos received in messages.
Facebook for iOS comes in at 33.2MB and can be downloaded for free from the App Store.
On Topic: App Store
- Pebble adds eBay, Evernote & Time Warner as latest smart watch app partners
- Amazon takes online sales management mobile with Amazon Seller iOS app
- Apple releases iOS 7-styled iTunes Festival app update, does not require iOS 7.1
- CarPlay development characterized as easy, but Apple planning 'slow and steady' rollout
- Apple approaching March 31 deadline for FTC in-app purchase settlement compliance