Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 03:20 pm PT (06:20 pm ET)
Facebook for iOS adds privacy options and status icons in updateFacebook on Tuesday released an update for its iOS app, bringing new sharing controls for posts, status icons and the ability to start conversations from a photo received in messages.
While not a major update, Facebook version 6.2 brings a few functional improvements to the universal iOS app, including moves to push the use of graphics in lieu of text.
The new icons feature allows users to set and view a stylized emoticon character for their status alongside the usual text. There is a wide selection of icons from which to choose, including "Feeling, Watching, Reading, Listening to, Drinking, Eating, and Playing."
Users also have more control over who can view their posts by clicking on the small arrow on the top right of a post's box. The feature is in line with Facebook's recent push toward a safer and more secure user experience.
Finally, Facebook now allows users to start conversations from photos received in messages.
Facebook for iOS comes in at 33.2MB and can be downloaded for free from the App Store.
On Topic: App Store
- ComiXology launches DRM-free comic book downloads from select publishers
- Google updates Gmail for iOS with enhanced Google Drive integration
- iOS apps Square & IFTTT launch automation tie-up for merchants
- iTunes Software and Services fastest growing Apple business segment this year
- Flir One case turns Apple's iPhone into a high-end thermal imaging camera