Friday, August 02, 2013, 09:01 pm PT (12:01 am ET)
Evidence suggests 'Infinity Blade 3' may already be in developmentWhile an anticipated spin-off to the "Infinity Blade" franchise was officially cancelled in July, new evidence suggests iOS developer ChAIR may be actively working on an as-yet-unannounced third installment of the successful gaming series.
The LinkedIn profile of a senior Entertainment quality assurance tester at ChAIR, discovered by Kotaku on Friday, lists the unannounced "Infinity Blade 3 for the iPhone" in a summary of recent work experience.
Although many expect ChAIR to add a third title to its well-received Infinity Blade series, the abrupt cancellation of the Infinity Blade: Dungeons spin-off roused suspicions as to how parent company Epic would handle the franchise. In 2012, Epic Games was purchased by Chinese Internet company Tencent, which is known to release so-called "freemium" model titles.
ChAIR Entertainment cofounder Donald Mustard announced the cancellation of Dungeons in July, though work on the project actually stopped in February, when developer Impossible Studios shut down.
The first Infinity Blade debuted in 2010 as the first iOS game powered by the Unreal Engine 3, and was followed by a sequel one year later. Epic revealed in June 2012 that the Infinity Blade franchise was its most successful in terms of man years invested versus revenue, putting it ahead of the massively popular Gears of War series for Xbox 360.
On Topic: apps
- Apple updates iWork for iOS suite with support for iOS 8, stability fixes
- Apple updates iMovie for iOS with new filters, speed controls, Photo app integration, more
- Rumor: Apple in late-stage talks to buy Path social platform
- Apple Store app overhauled with cross-platform shopping features, fresh design
- Adobe's Photoshop Mix for iPad gets extensibility, panoramic file support, more in update