TiVo's new Roamio DVRs stream content directly to Apple's iPhones, iPadsTiVo on Tuesday announced its first major update to its line of digital video recorders in three years, giving buyers the opportunity to stream content from a DVR to an iOS-powered device such as an iPhone or iPad.
The new line of Roamio DVRs are now stepping onto turf previously occupied by devices such as the Slingbox, though TiVo's new lineup has a wider feature set than does the Slingbox. In adding streaming to mobile functionality, the new DVRs subsume the features of a pre-existing TiVo device, the TiVo Stream add-on box. That device paired with TiVo Premiere DVRs to stream to iOS devices.
Most of the Roamio DVRs will be able to stream live and recorded content to iOS devices outside of the home, but that functionality will not be available until some months after the Roamio line launches. That capability will likely come in the form of a firmware update.
The Roamio line will also have capabilities similar to Google's recently unveiled Chromecast streaming device. Users will be able to start up a YouTube video or Netflix movie on an iPhone or iPad and then have the TiVo begin streaming the content.
TiVo's new product lineup line will come in three models:
- The basic TiVo Roamio, priced at $200, will allow users to watch or record up to four simultaneous shows. It will also record up to 75 hours of HD video, but it will not be able to stream content to mobile devices without the $130 TiVo Stream.
- The Roamio Plus, for $400, will record up to six simultaneous shows and can hold up to 150 hours of HD video. It will have the iOS streaming functionality built in.
- At the high-end of the line will be the Roamio Pro. That device will record up to 450 hours of HD video and will have all of the streaming capabilities of the Roamio Plus. It will retail for $600.
On Topic: Apple TV
- Amazon says Instant Video app for tvOS could launch 'within a few weeks'
- Facebook SDK for tvOS could solve Apple TV's app login problem
- Exclusive Deal: Free 32GB Apple TV with all 2015 MacBook Pros plus up to $230 in additional discounts per model with no tax in 48 states
- Apple TV advertising goes beyond small screen with new billboard installations
- Apple spotlights ABC app, Muppets in new Apple TV ad