Popular Gmail client Mailbox for iOS gets cloud search, account-specific signaturesAfter an update on Wednesday, Mailbox users can now search through messages stored in Gmail's cloud, a much requested feature that was missing from earlier versions of the app.
Mailbox for iOS hit version 1.5.0 on Wednesday, and while not much has been changed in the point update, the server search function will likely be a welcome addition to many.
The new capability allows users to search through every message in a given Gmail account, not just those that had been previously downloaded and stored locally. With the updgrade, Mailbox is finally up to speed with other email clients offering similar features, including Google's own Gmail app.
In addition, those users with multiple active accounts can create and choose specific signatures for each, which will be appended to outgoing messages. Another new option lets users open Web links in Google's Chrome browser for iOS rather than the default Safari.
The Mailbox blog also notes that users can still receive 1GB of Dropbox space by linking their account with the cloud storage service. Dropbox integration was recently introduced after the company purchased Mailbox in March.
Finally, the usual unnamed performance enhancements and bug fixes are included in version 1.5.0.
Mailbox for iOS can be downloaded for free from the App Store.
On Topic: App Store
- Meerkat works around Twitter social graph, Vine gets 720P update, and Instapaper adds 'speed reading'
- Apple Watch support comes to flurry of iPhone apps ahead of April launch
- Yet another outage hits Apple's App Store & iTunes, preventing searches, discovery & downloads
- First look: Fantastical 2 for Mac brings advanced calendaring to OS X Yosemite
- iOS 8.3 allows users to turn off password requirement for free App Store downloads