Facebook 6.5 to launch today with refreshed, iOS 7-savvy designFacebook is launching an iOS app update today that includes a new menu at the bottom of the app for enhanced navigation, along with design elements inspired by Apple's just released iOS 7.
The new menu in Facebook 6.5 (emphasized above and and presented in full screen below) lets users quickly switch from their News Feed to friend Requests, Messages or Notifications with a tap along the bottom of the screen. Previous versions of the iOS app used side menus that slid in from either side.
A tap on More (below) provides additional options, including access to your own Timeline, groups, events and more. The new app is also designed to reflect the design cues of iOS 7, including a translucent bar at the top of the app that dynamically shifts as the user scrolls through feed posts and photos.
In addition to the new appearance, and the user facing enhancements present in bundled apps, iOS 7 offers app developers new features including AirDrop and expanded sharing, new Multitasking support for background updates, Sprite Kit and new Game Center features, iBeacon support for Bluetooth LE, Inter-App Audio for streaming audio between music apps, new Map Kit features for navigation and overlays, high frame rate video capture, custom video composition and barcode scanning.
iOS 7 will also introduce support for the iPhone 5s with Touch ID, incorporating Apple's latest and most advanced 64-bit A7 Application Processor.
On Topic: Facebook
- Facebook updates iOS app with food & ticket purchases, new Recommendations system & more
- Facebook adds Apple TV & Chromecast support to Web and iOS videos
- Facebook launches Slack competitor Workplace with iOS, Android & Web apps
- Facebook Oculus update lowers hardware requirements, promises social experiences
- Facebook Messenger turns on promised end-to-end chat encryption