iPhone demand in China, Japan projected to push Sept. quarter sales to 34.5MProjected iPhone sales for the current September quarter continue to edge upward, with the latest survey data suggesting Apple could sell more than 34 million handsets in the soon-to-conclude period.
Katy Huberty of Morgan Stanley revealed the latest AlphaWise Smartphone Tracker survey data to AppleInsider on Thursday, which shows iPhone demand in the third quarter of calendar 2013 tracking to 37 million units. While Apple may not be able to supply an iPhone 5s unit to everyone who wants one by the end of the quarter, Huberty believes Apple will ship about 34.5 million handsets during the period.
If her estimate proves to be accurate, that would prove better than the already-increased expectations of 33 million shared by Wall Street watchers. Many analysts' estimates were raise after Apple reported record sales of 9 million units during the launch weekend for the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c.
In particular, consumer interest in Japan and China are responsible for the largest share of the year over year increase in interest in Apple's iPhone, according to the AlphaWise study.
The study, which measures consumer demand, is based on an analysis of Web search results. It found that demand for the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c has been considerable even after the devices went on sale last Friday.
Last week, Huberty said that concerns over preorders for Apple's iPhone 5c, and the lack of available preorders for the iPhone 5s, were "overblown." She cited survey data that showed healthy demand for Apple's latest iPhones.
On Topic: iPhone
- Smartphone shipments topped 1.2 billion in 2014, Samsung's share plummeted in face of Apple gains
- Apple's 'Shot on iPhone 6' campaign goes global with billboards, ad spaces
- Apple supplier NXP to merge with rival Freescale Semiconductor in $11.8B deal
- Samsung responds to iPhone 6 with premium metal & glass Galaxy S6, counters Apple Pay with Samsung Pay
- Apple touts iPhone 6 as world's most popular camera in showcase of extraordinary user photos