Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 07:07 pm PT (10:07 pm ET)
T-Mobile to offer Apple's new iPad with free 200 MB/month data planAfter Apple unveiled the new iPad Air and Retina iPad mini, T-Mobile announced it will be offering the tablets to new customers with a free 200MB per month data allotment, a $15 savings from the carrier's closest competitor.
When the new iPads launch in November, T-Mobile will be the only big-four U.S. cellular providers to offer a data plan for free. After the 200MB cap is reached, the next tier starts at 2.5GB per month for $30.
The Wi-Fi + Cellular iPad Air and second-generation iPad mini will be the first Apple tablets to be sold through T-Mobile. Previously, users had to implement a workaround by using a T-Mobile SIM card in an unlocked iPad, as the carrier did not yet have access to the device.
Earlier in the day, chief executive John Legere tweeted out a message hinting that he had something up his sleeve regarding Apple's new LTE-capable iPads.
T-Mobile's latest "uncarrier" move to disrupt the cellular market comes after the telecom announced a new international coverage feature that allows for free global data roaming and texts. That plan will go into effect at the end of October.
On Topic: iPad
- Killer Deals: $150 off iMac Retina 5K, $350 off Mac Pro, $40 off iPad Air 2, $30 off iPad mini 3, up to $268 off HP Printers
- Logitech launches Type+ & Ultrathin keyboards for iPad Air 2, ultraportable Keys-To-Go for all models
- iPad Air 2 glass cover has 2.5% screen reflectance vs. 8% reflectance for sapphire
- Apple's iPad Air 2 manufacturing costs stay level despite new technology - report
- Apple's A8X powers iPad Air 2 graphics faster than Google's Nexus 9 with Nvidia Denver Tegra K1