Thursday, November 07, 2013, 08:05 pm PT (11:05 pm ET)
Google Drive and SugarSync cloud storage iOS apps updated with new featuresTwo popular options for storing, sharing, and synchronizing files across devices received an update Thursday, with Google Drive gaining support for multiple accounts and AirPrint and SugarSync bringing automatic photo backup alongside music and video streaming.
Users with multiple Google accounts, such as those who have both a personal Gmail account and a Google Apps account through their employer, can now easily switch between their various logins in the latest Google Drive. Like the recent Google Search app update, users with more than one Google iOS app will also be able to take advantage of an easier single sign-on process.
Additionally, the latest version of Google Drive enables support for Apple's AirPrint local wireless printing protocol and Google's Cloud Print internet-based printing service.
Google Drive version 2.1.0 is available now as a free 24MB download from the App Store.
SugarSync borrows a page from competitor Dropbox in its newest update, offering to automatically upload photos from a user's camera roll. Photos can then be shared or accessed on any of the user's other SugarSync-enabled devices.
Users who previously complained about the lack of granular sync status information will be glad to see that folders in the mobile app now reflect their individual status, with icons similar to those found in SugarSync's desktop client.
Finally, video and music files can now be played before they have finished downloading, a welcome sight for users on slower data connections.
SugarSync bumps the version number up to 4.1.0 and can be had as a free 6MB download from the App Store.
On Topic: App Store
- Adobe's Photoshop Mix for iPad gets extensibility, panoramic file support, more in update
- ESPN updates SportsCenter for iOS with new football features, Secret adds interactive questions
- Smash hit 'BioShock' comes to iPhone, iPad with iOS-specific controls
- Instagram's new Hyperlapse app simplifies timelapses, Square's Cash 2.0 allows transfers to all via text message
- Google bolsters iOS productivity suite with Slides, updates to Docs and Sheets