Pebble to launch new smart watch 'appstore' alongside second-gen SDKSmart watch maker Pebble on Wednesday announced that developers will soon be able to list their applications in a first-party app store that will live inside the wrist-worn device's companion smartphone apps.
The "Pebble appstore" will include six categories at launch — Daily, Remotes, Sports & Fitness, Notifications, Tools & Utilities and Games — as well as a dedicated area for watch faces. Pebble's appstore will also allow cross-linking to iOS's App Store and Android's Google Play store for developers whose Pebble applications have other, separate mobile companion apps.
Only free applications will be supported initially, and Pebble says they will not curate the store - much like the Google Play store, any app can be listed, and problem apps will be dealt with retroactively.
Third-party app stores, like the popular MyPebbleFaces.com, will not be locked out as a result of the Pebble appstore's launch, the company says, and current methods of sideloading applications will continue to function.
The Pebble appstore and Pebble SDK 2.0 will launch "early next year."
On Topic: General
- Nokia debuts Ozo 360-degree VR camera for professional filmmakers
- Intel and Micron's new '3D XPoint' memory is 1000x faster, more durable than NAND
- Livescribe debuts note-taking, audio-recording Echo Smartpen 8GB Pro Edition
- Apple's Beats by Dre support team debuts native Twitter videos
- Motorola unveils larger Moto X Style and Moto X Play phones, updates Moto G