Wednesday, December 18, 2013, 11:22 am PT (02:22 pm ET)
Pebble to launch new smart watch 'appstore' alongside second-gen SDKSmart watch maker Pebble on Wednesday announced that developers will soon be able to list their applications in a first-party app store that will live inside the wrist-worn device's companion smartphone apps.
The "Pebble appstore" will include six categories at launch — Daily, Remotes, Sports & Fitness, Notifications, Tools & Utilities and Games — as well as a dedicated area for watch faces. Pebble's appstore will also allow cross-linking to iOS's App Store and Android's Google Play store for developers whose Pebble applications have other, separate mobile companion apps.
Only free applications will be supported initially, and Pebble says they will not curate the store - much like the Google Play store, any app can be listed, and problem apps will be dealt with retroactively.
Third-party app stores, like the popular MyPebbleFaces.com, will not be locked out as a result of the Pebble appstore's launch, the company says, and current methods of sideloading applications will continue to function.
The Pebble appstore and Pebble SDK 2.0 will launch "early next year."
On Topic: General
- Apple's next-gen iOS Remote app solution could boast full Apple TV GUIs, interactive content
- Marc Newson confirms only working at Apple part time on secret projects
- Patent holdings firm WiLAN loses second suit against Apple
- Apple opens iTunes donations for 'City of Hope' cancer charity, moves beyond natural disaster relief
- PayPal purportedly cut out of Apple Pay due to partnership with Samsung