Wednesday, June 04, 2014, 01:57 pm PT (04:57 pm ET)
Amazon expected to announce 3D sensing smartphone at June 18 eventAmazon on Wednesday announced it will be holding a special media event on June 18 for an as-yet-unannounced product that many expect will be the Internet retailer's first foray into the smartphone business.
The photo above, which appears to be an Amazon branded portable, is accompanied by a teaser video showing people handling a small device and commenting on what looks to be 3D motion tracking technology.
Interestingly, the pictured device — at least the one corner that is revealed — is nearly identical to to renders purportedly leaked in April. At the time, it was reported that Amazon's graphic designers created the images.
In October, AppleInsider reported exclusively on Amazon's rumored device, noting the smartphone will likely sport six cameras for 3D imaging, a 4.7-inch touchscreen display and Qualcomm Snapdragon processor.
The three-dimensional user interface is expected to be the handset's main draw, with users able to manipulate onscreen objects like wallpapers and icons via gestures. From the video released today, it looks like the phone will react to head motions as well, offering an enhanced type of parallax view seen in Apple's iOS 7.
Amazon's event is slated for June 18 and those interested can request an invitation through a special page the company's website.
On Topic: iPhone
- iPhone 6 demand continues to outstrip supply, may not see balance before 2015
- Apple's iPhone 6 & 6 Plus met with orderly launch day lines in China
- Apple adds PetSmart, Office Depot, others to growing list of retailers who've pledged support for ApplePay
- Apple says iPhone 6 owners can start using ApplePay with release of iOS 8.1 on Monday, Oct. 20
- Apple's iPhone 6 & 6 Plus off to best start in iPhone history