Monday, June 16, 2014, 10:32 am PT (01:32 pm ET)
Facebook brings right-hand column to iPad with new discovery featuresSocial networking behemoth Facebook on Monday updated their iPad app with a new right-hand column that brings tablet users faster and easier access to trending content and games.
The new layout will be familiar to users of Facebook on the web, with a content column appearing on the right-hand side of the screen when the iPad is held in landscape mode. Facebook calls the change a test, meaning not every user will see the new feature.
Gaming is the new section's primary focus, with Facebook making it easy to quickly tap and play users' favorite iPad games. The company will also surface games it believes users might want to play based on their social network.
Developers may be able to advertise their games there in the future, Facebook said.
Additionally, the section will include trending topics and trending videos. Both lists are dynamically generated for each user based on their interests and content that is popular among their social circle.
Facebook version 11.0 is available now as a free, 62.2-megabyte download from the App Store.
On Topic: App Store
- Microsoft updates OneNote for iOS and Mac with OneDrive access, file insertion, more
- Instagram launches Snapchat competitor 'Bolt' in select markets, US not included
- Apple confirms purchase of personalized talk radio service Swell, shuts down app
- Yelp lets users add short videos to business reviews in latest app update
- Facebook to soon require standalone Messenger app for mobile chats [u]