Yelp lets users add short videos to business reviews in latest app updateYelp on Monday pushed out an update to its iOS app that allows users to upload short video clips up to 12 seconds long alongside written reviews and pictures.
With the new functionality, Yelp version 8.1 brings a new dimension to the crowd-sourced business and restaurant guide, allowing members to post review videos between 3 and 12 seconds long. Prior to Monday's update, user reviews were limited to text and pictures.
The video review tool can be accessed from the app's main page, through the central button that, when selected, fans out into "Check in," "Review" and "Photo or Video" options. From the "Photo or Video" screen, users can switch from still shots to video with a dedicated toggle button.
The new function opens the door to new review possibilities for Yelp members, who can now better describe products, take note of a restaurant's ambiance or even add short narrated videos to their review. Yelp's video content should start showing up in line with text and photo reviews on both the app and Web portal, though examples could not be found at the time of this writing.
Along with the new video capabilities, the updated Yelp app comes with minor user interface tweaks and bug fixes.
Yelp is available as a free 30.7MB download from the App Store.
On Topic: App Store
- Apple gives away iPhone drawing app 'Procreate Pocket' through Apple Store app
- Sioeye iPhone-connected sports camera streams live via LTE, includes 5GB free with T-Mobile
- New Chinese rules say Apple's App Store must track identities of users, developers
- Apple's iTunes, App Store, iBooks Store suffer unscheduled downtime [ux2]
- Apple features 'Lifeline' in latest Developer Insights series