Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 11:45 am PT (02:45 pm ET)
Uber adds API access, affiliate program for apps on Apple's iPhoneCar-calling service Uber on Wednesday unveiled new API and affiliate programs that allow developers to integrate Uber services — including destination finding, pickup times, fare estimates, and trip history — into their own apps and earn Uber credits.
In a blog post announcing the move, Uber said that they believe "any app with a map" can take advantage of the new features. The company announced a number of launch partners, including Expensify, Hinge, Hyatt Hotels & Resorts, Momento, OpenTable, Starbucks, Tempo Smart Calendar, Time Out, TripAdvisor, TripCase and United Airlines.
Users of OpenTable's app can request a ride to their restaurant without leaving the app, for example, while those staying at a Hyatt hotel can book a car from the reservation screen. Google added similar integration to its Maps app in May of this year.
One item that the company has not yet made publicly available for developers is the ability to actually book a ride. Uber is rolling that functionality out "in a more controlled fashion, starting with a small set of partners."
Alongside the launch, each of Uber's partners is offering a discount of up to $30 for users new to the service.
On Topic: App Store
- How to start an iOS 8 Family Sharing account to share apps, music, movies & more
- Apple updates iWork for iOS suite with support for iOS 8, stability fixes
- Apple updates iMovie for iOS with new filters, speed controls, Photo app integration, more
- Apple issues iOS 8 compatibility updates for Beats Music, Find My Friends, others
- Rumor: Apple in late-stage talks to buy Path social platform