Disney expands 'Star Wars' iOS franchise with 'Commander' real-time strategy gameAfter soft-launching in the Australian iOS App Store nearly two months ago, Disney Interactive's "Star Wars: Commander" saw wide release on Thursday, bringing real-time strategy "Rebellion vs. Empire" gameplay to Apple's mobile devices.
Set in the Star Wars universe during the "Galactic Civil War" (Episodes IV through VI for fans of the movie series), Star Wars: Commander lets players take sides with the Rebel Alliance or the Galactic Empire to lead familiar machines of war like AT-ATs and TIE fighters into battle.
Instead of the interactive, story-driven app Star Wars Scene Maker, or the exploration-style game Star Wars Journeys: The Phantom Menace, Star Wars: Commander is a blend of base defense and full-on assault game types. Interesting in-game mechanics like upgradable weapons and deployments join comics-inspired graphics to add to the game's style.
From the release notes:
- Build and defend a base: Train unique troops specific to each faction, and fortify a base with deflector shields, turrets, heavy artillery, and other defenses.
- Lead epic battles: Strategically deploy powerful armies, units, and vehicles against enemies and other players around the galaxy.
- Travel to multiple planets and complete special missions: Play an all-new story as a valiant leader on the front lines of the Galactic Civil War.
- Upgrade a strike team and its defenses: Strengthen forces with multiple levels of upgrades for each unit.
The app will be an iOS exclusive at launch and is Disney's third branded Star Wars title since the company took over Lucasfilm, and thereby LucasArts, in 2012.
Star Wars: Commander is available now as a free 56.9MB download from the iOS App Store.
On Topic: App Store
- Apple's iTunes Store & App Store hit by second outage in two days [u]
- This week on AppleInsider: Steve Jobs tributes, iPhone & Watch launches, iOS security & more
- YouTube for iOS gets 'material design' makeover, new editing tools in update
- Apple removes iOS app chronicling victims of US drone strikes
- The best 3D Touch-enabled apps available for iPhone 6s and 6s Plus