Samsung ad challenges Apple's iPhone 5s to take 'ice bucket challenge'In a short commercial posted Friday, South Korean electronics giant Samsung subjected its water-resistant Galaxy S5 smartphone to the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, which the handset's S-Voice personal digital assistant called "freezing" before nominating Apple's iPhone 5s and other competitors to do the same.
The short, 15-second spot is voiced entirely by the Galaxy's British S-Voice variant. "I am the Samsung Galaxy S5, this is my ice bucket challenge," it intones. "Gosh that's freezing."
Samsung has repeatedly touted the handset's waterproof housing when comparing it against Apple's iPhone. Apple has repeatedly been rumored to have a new waterproof option in the works, but it has yet to materialize in a shipping device.
As is the custom for the ice bucket challenge, Samsung will also make a donation to the British Motor Neurone Disease Association charity. One executive at Samsung UK's advertising agency, Cheil UK, told AdAge that it was the "perfect opportunity for the brand to do something that was meaningful but also unexpected."
The ice bucket challenge has swept Silicon Valley recently, with a number of Apple executives taking part. Marketing czar Phil Schiller was first to take the dousing, challenging — among others — CEO Tim Cook.
Cook was drenched in the amphitheatre at the center of Apple headquarters in Cupertino. He nominated recent Apple addition Dr. Dre, who was soaked last week.
On Topic: iPhone
- Eric Schmidt says he uses an iPhone, but claims to prefer Samsung's Galaxy
- Alleged 'iPhone 7' production plates, schematics show no sign of Smart Connector
- New photo purports to show 'iPhone 7' shell with single, raised rear camera opening
- Rumor: Apple prepping as many as 78 million 'iPhone 7' units for launch
- Surge in OLED equipment orders linked to Apple's upcoming iPhones - report