Tuesday, August 26, 2014, 12:40 pm PT (03:40 pm ET)
Instagram's new Hyperlapse app simplifies timelapses, Square's Cash 2.0 allows transfers to all via text messageFacebook's Instagram launched a new application on Tuesday dubbed Hyperlapse, which allows users to quickly shoot polished time-lapse videos. In addition, Square updated its Cash app for iOS to version 2.0, bringing a host of new features including transferring cash to any number over text message and address book importing.
The all-new Hyperlapse from Instagram is a free download on the iOS App Store, allowing users to shoot timelapses while walking, running, jumping or falling. The app uses Instagram's in-house stabilization technology, which the company says results in timelapses that would be otherwise impossible without "bulky tripods and expensive equipment."
Hyperlapse instantly stabilizes footage to smooth out any bumps and help give the clip a cinematic feeling. Footage recorded can be sped up to play back up to 12 times faster, and of course the clips can be easily shared on Instagram and Facebook.
Users who download the app can start filming immediately. Not only does the software come with a design that allows for quick capture, but using it also does not require signing up for an account.
Hyperlapse from Instagram is available for both iPhone and iPad. It's a 10.9-megabyte download that requires iOS 7.0 or later.
Square's Cash hits 2.0
Cash, the app from online transaction handler Square, was updated to version 2.0 on Tuesday. The app allows users to quickly send cash between mobile devices via text message or email with no fees.
Version 2.0 allows users to send cash to any mobile number via text message. It also has a faster, optimized sending interface, and users can import their address book for quick contact selection.
Cash 2.0 also gives the ability to add a note to a payment, and users can now select a profile picture. Alerts can be sent via push notification, text message or email.
Remaining features spotlighted by Square are:
- Manage all of your email addresses and phone numbers in one place.
- Quickly approve incoming requests from a push notification or text message.
- Invite friends via text message and get $1 when they join.
The latest version of Cash is a free 9.8-megabyte download that requires iOS 6.0 or later.
On Topic: App Store
- Facebook introduces anonymous chat app 'Rooms'
- Apple expands TestFlight iOS app beta invitations to 1,000 users
- First look: Pixelmator for iPad takes powerful image editing on-the-go
- AppleInsider 2.0 for iPhone and iPad now available as free downloads from Apple's App Store
- Dropbox update adds support for Touch ID login, larger iPhone 6 & 6 Plus screens