Apple's iOS 8 adoption finally breaks 50% nearly 6 weeks after launchAfter stagnating earlier in October, adoption of Apple's latest iOS 8 mobile operating system has finally cracked the 50 percent barrier and now stands at 52 percent of devices tracked by the iOS App Store.
As of Oct. 27, iOS 8 was installed on 52 percent of devices registered through the App Store, finally surpassing the marketshare of iOS 7, which accounted for 43 percent of the whole. Apple announced the findings on its developer webpage.
The iOS 8 new metrics represent a five percent increase in adoption over the past three weeks, better than Apple's last update, which saw a meager one percent uptick over a period of two weeks.
By comparison, however, last year's iOS 7 — considered a major revamp to Apple's mobile OS — garnered a 52 percent share of Web traffic in only one week, according to a third-party study.
Share of devices running iOS 6 and older shrunk to 5 percent over the past weeks.
Despite booming iPhone 6 and 6 Plus sales, iOS 8's marketshare may be a side effect of the OS' official launch and subsequent botched iOS 8.0.1 patch. Owners may be reluctant to upgrade to the latest iOS 8 version after seeing problems that included a launch-day bug that prompted Apple to pull HealthKit-enabled apps from the App Store. A fix released one week later contained issues of its own that caused problems with iPhone 6 and 6 Plus cellular connectivity and Touch ID.
Apple's latest iOS 8.1 update is relatively stable thus far and, for iPhone 6 users, activates Apple Pay contactless mobile payments.
On Topic: iOS
- Early demo of Siri third-party app integration find feature useful, vital to system's evolution
- Apple calls Australian banks' request to bargain over Apple Pay a detriment to consumers, mobile wallet adoption
- Apple issues 8th developer beta of iOS 10, 7th public release
- Apple issues iOS 9.3.5 update, patching serious security issues discovered just 10 days ago
- Apple to take on Snapchat, Facebook in 2017 with new iPhone video editing app - report