We are currently experiencing server issues, please excuse any mess. More details are availble here.
New guesstimate puts total Apple Watch shipments at almost 7 millionAccording to a new estimate by research firm Canalys, Apple has sold nearly 7 million Apple Watch units since the product launched in late April, blowing past competing smartwatch products from the likes of Pebble, Samsung and Motorola.
That figure would be well ahead of the achievements of other smartwatch makers, the firm observed. The amount is in fact believed to be more than what all competing vendors shipped in the last five quarters combined.
Moreover, no Apple rival is thought to have topped more than 300,000 watches in a single quarter. Even the Pebble Time Steel, which works with both iOS and Android, only managed 200,000 units in its first quarter.
"After experiencing significant supply chain constraints early on, Apple managed to overcome its production struggles with the Apple Watch and is building momentum going into Q4," claimed analyst Daniel Matte.
A Canalys estimate published in July suggested that the company had sold 4.2 million units in the June quarter. Apple hasn't published any official data however, and other analysts have offered conflicting views.
Based on the company's 10-Q filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, revenue from the device so far is estimated to be at least $1.69 billion, meaning the actual sales figure could be higher.
On Topic: Apple Watch
- NYC restauranteur Danny Meyer looks to upend hospitality industry with Apple Watch
- Health insurer Aetna to offer customer & employee discounts on Apple Watch
- Apple's health hires geared towards sharing, interpreting data, including new Watch apps
- Review: Apple Watch Series 2 is a great improvement, but watchOS 3 steals the show
- Hermes Edition Apple Watch launches; iPhone 7, Apple Watch arrive in more countries