Apple to open 30th Chinese retail outlet next week in XiamenForging ahead with an aggressive retail expansion into China, Apple on Thursday announced it will open the doors to a new Xiamen Apple Store on Jan. 14, the company's 30th in the region.
Apple picked SM Lifestyle Center shopping mall as home for the coastal city's first Apple Store. The company announced the upcoming opening through its Chinese webpage just two days before another brick-and-mortar store is set to open in Shenyang.
Like other contemporary in-mall Apple Stores, the Xiamen location boasts ample sales floor space, a Genius Bar and an area for Workshops. There are a few classes scheduled for Friday, Jan. 15, including basic lessons covering iPhone, iPad, Mac and Apple Watch hardware, as well as Apple ID and iCloud.
When it opens, the Xiamen outlet will be the 30th Apple Store to open in mainland China, a market of extreme importance to future Apple growth. Apple promised to expand retail operations in the region by building 40 Apple Stores by mid-2016. In 2015 alone, new stores popped up in Beijing, Chengdu, Hangzhou, Hong Kong, Nanjing and more.
CEO Tim Cook anticipates China will become his company's largest market, surpassing existing strongholds like the U.S. and the UK. For Apple's last fiscal quarter of 2015, Greater China generated $12.5 billion in revenue for the company, up 99 percent year over year.
After a grand opening on Thursday, Jan. 14, the Xiamen SM Lifestyle Center Apple Store will hold normal operating hours from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily.
On Topic: General
- Apple, Silicon Valley raised millions to fund Hillary Clinton platform backing tech's positions on encryption, privacy, innovation, patents, education
- Disney said to be weighing Twitter purchase to bolster online video efforts
- Sonos brings PLAY:1 & PLAY:5 speakers to Apple's online & retail stores
- Photos show Apple's newly relocated & revamped Brea Mall store [u]
- This week on AI: iPhone 7 & Apple Watch Series 2 review, McLaren buyout rumors, macOS Sierra launch & more