AppleInsider may earn an affiliate commission on purchases made through links on our site.
In a change to its Apple Maps Acknowledgements webpage, Apple revealed an initial list of data providers used to populate the upcoming transit mapping feature in Maps for iOS 9, as well as two new aggregators of business listings.
Apple announced earlier this year that transit directions will initially be available in Baltimore, Berlin, Chicago, London, Mexico City, New York City, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Toronto, and Washington D.C., as well as 30 cities in China. The newly published list of providers gives a closer look at what to expect from transit assets in Canada, Germany, the U.S. and UK, including major cities like Berlin, London, New York, San Francisco and Toronto.
Apple Maps transit data providers:
- Berlin transit data Â© 2014-2015 VBB Verkehrsverbund Berlin-Brandenburg GmbH.
- Berlin transit data from Ostseeland Verkehr GmbH/Alle Angaben ohne GewÃ¤hr.
- Germany transit data from Flixbus, a European intercity bus service provider: https://www.flixbus.com
- London transit data Â© 2015 ITO World Ltd. All rights reserved. Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v2.0.
- MTA and the MTA logo are trademarks of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority and used with permission of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.
- AirTrain JFK data from 511 NY.
- Westchester County transit data from 511 NY.
- Alameda County transit data Â© 2015
- San Francisco - Bay Area transit data provided by MTC's 511.org.
- San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency data reproduced with permission granted by the City and County of San Francisco. The information has been provided by means of a nonexclusive, limited, and revocable license granted by the City and County of San Francisco.
- Brampton transit data Â© 2015, The City of Brampton (All rights reserved.) Subject to terms at: http://www.brampton.ca/EN/City-Hall/OpenGov/Open-Data-Catalogue/Pages/Terms-of-Use.aspx.
- Burlington transit data from the City of Burlington. Subject to terms at: http://www.burlington.ca/en/services-for-you/resources/Initiative Projects/Open_data/TermsOfUse.pdf.
- Grand River Transit data provided by the Regional Municipality of Waterloo under license.
- Guelph Transit data provided by the City of Guelph under an open government license.
- Hamilton Street Railways public sector data made available under the City of Hamilton's open data license.
- Ontario transit data provided with permission of Metrolinx.
- MiWay transit data from the City of Mississauga. Subject to terms at: http://www5.mississauga.ca/research_catalogue/CityofMississauga_TermsofUse.pdf.
- Contains information licensed under the Open Government Licence - Niagara Region http://www.niagararegion.ca/government/opendata/terms-of-use.aspx.
- Oakville Transit data licensed under the Open Government Licence - Town of Oakville.
- Toronto Transit data licensed under the Open Government Licence - Toronto.
As for business listings, Apple added data gathered by Position Technologies and DAC Group.
Apple is expected to release iOS 9 alongside new iPhone models at a special event in September. Aside from mapping enhancements, the next-gen operating system features a revamped Notification Center and app switcher, low battery mode, dedicated iCloud Drive app, Wi-Fi calling for AT&T, numerous user interface tweaks and much more.