Sony announces long-awaited A7S III 12MP full-frame mirrorless camera
The long-awaited successor to Sony's A7S II camera is now official. The new A7S III full-frame mirrorless camera boasts several "world firsts" as it targets the video market.
The new shooter features a 12MP full-frame BSI CMOS sensor. It is capable of shooting video in 4K with up 120 frames per second, with Full HD at 240fps. There is 5-axis in-body stabilization, dual memory card slots, and a 9.44m dot WXGA OLED Tru-Finder EVF with .90x magnification.
Sony has upgraded the body to be more ergonomic as well as more rugged. It has improved dust and moisture resistance as well as a bigger grip, bigger buttons, and a new REC button.
Standard ISO range is ISO80 to USO102400 and up to ISO40 to ISO409600 with 14-stops of dynamic range possible during still photography.
Sony says that the new 12.1MP BSI CMOS sensor has improved noise performance and color reproduction over the prior generation. More than 15 stops of dynamic range while in video mode aid in what Sony describes as the best 4K in the market.
Other video features include 10bit HLG profile for HDR shooting, 16-bit RAW output, native ISO sensitivity in S-Log, H.265 HEVC encoding, new heat-dissipating structure to keep the camera cool while shooting, and 60 percent improved battery for up to 95 minutes of actual record time.
Pre-order deals on the new Sony A7S III
The new Sony Alpha A7S III can be pre-ordered now from Adorama at up to $200 off when bundled with a lens. Adorama Edge cardholders can also take advantage of an additional 5% back or opt for no interest financing when paid in full within 12 months with the store card.
B&H is also accepting pre-orders for the new digital camera with free expedited shipping. Its Payboo Card will instantly refund sales tax paid on orders shipped to qualifying zip codes, while no interest financing when paid in full within 12 months is available with the B&H Financing Card.
Prices start at $3,498 for the digital camera body only, and the Sony A7S III is expected to ship on Sept. 24. Adorama and B&H are both Sony Authorized Dealers.
Sony A7S III features
- 12.1 megapixel full-frame BSI CMOS sensor
- Up to 15+ stop dynamic range
- 9.44m dot QXGA OLED Tru-Finder EVF, 0.90x magnification (size can be reduced if too large)
- ISO40 to ISO409600
- 4K 120p recording, 10-bit, 4:2:2
- All intra up to 600Mbps
- FullHD 240p
- New S-Gamut3.Cine
- Fast hybrid AF in all recording situations
- Real-time eye AF (in video as well), Touch-tracking
- 759 phase-detection AF points 92% coverage
- 425 CDAF points
- 10fps continuous shooting with AF/AE
- Articulated vari-angle touch-screen
- Dual slots: SD UHS-II / CFexpress Type A card support
- Z battery
- High-speed readout from the sensor, 2x fast compared to A7S II
- Improved rolling shutter, approx. 3x improved compared to A7S II
- New BIONZ XR up to 8x faster than BIONZ X
- Up to 15+ stops of dynamic range (Video)
- Red square "tally light" on/off displayed on screen.