How to upgrade the RAM on the 27-Inch iMac (2020)
The 2020 27-inch iMac is a worthwhile upgrade to the previous version, Apple still has exorbitant prices on RAM. Fortunately, users are still able to upgrade the RAM on their own — and here's how to do it.
Apple's prices on RAM are typically elevated from third-party offerings, but what makes the iMac unique is that it is one of few machines in Apple's lineup that has user-replaceable modules. With minimal effort, users can upgrade from the 8GB that comes standard up to 128GB without breaking the bank.
There are many choices for third-party RAM sticks, but we typically turn to OWC. They offer great quality, good value, and solid after-sale support.
Apple charges users a cool thousand dollars to upgrade from 8GB to 64GB and an even more mind-blowing $2,600 for the 128GB. OWC charges around $270 for 64GB of RAM and $600 for the 128GB set — a full $2000 less for 128GB versus Apple. That's enough for another iMac.
What we're saying is — don't buy your RAM from Apple.
How to upgrade the RAM on the 27-Inch iMac
To upgrade the RAM on the 27-Inch iMac (2020) you will need a large open surface with a soft covering, a spudger or pen, and your new RAM modules.
- Disconnect all cables, including peripherals and power, from your 27-Inch iMac
- Carefully place the iMac face down on the protected surface
- Using the tip of a pen or a spudger, depress the button that is hidden above the power input
- Press the button until the RAM cover is free, and remove the cover
- Access the RAM by push the two light grey buttons on either side away from the RAM and slide the housing forward
- Carefully slide the existing RAM out of its housing. This may take a good amount of force
- Install the new RAM by sliding it into place and pressing firmly. If installing four modules, the position doesn't matter, but if you install just two, they need to be either in positions 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 for proper two-channel support
- Slide the RAM housing forward until it is flat and no longer protruding past the surface of the iMac
- Place the RAM cover in place and apply even pressure on each side until it goes flush
Now the new RAM is installed. Reconnect the power cables, boot up the machine, and confirm the new storage by going to the Apple icon in the top-left corner and selecting About this Mac.
Where to buy RAM for your new iMac
If you're looking to upgrade the RAM in your new iMac, OWC has a variety of kits for Apple's 2020 iMac models.
And if you're looking for the best deal on the systems themselves, AppleInsider readers can secure exclusive discounts on new configurations in the Mac Price Guide.