Mercury Pro LTO by OWC offers future proof Thunderbolt 3 LTO-8 archiving
AppleInsider may earn an affiliate commission on purchases made through links on our site.
The Mercury Pro LTO is a Thunderbolt 3 integrated tape backup and archiving solution that offers 12TB of uncompressed storage per LTO-8 tape for up to 30-year archival storage.
The Mercury Pro LTO provides top end performance data integrity and utilizes industry standard Thunderbolt 3 and future Thunderbolt 4 equipped computers. Utilize the latest 12TB LTO-8 tapes, previous-generation 6TB LTO-7 tapes, and even the future release LTO-9 drives.
The Linear Tape-Open (LTO) tapes are formatted with the Linear Tape File System (LTFS), the tape can be accessed on your computer just like a hard drive or SSD. Files appear in folders and moving them to and retrieving them from tape is as simple as dragging and dropping files.
Features and Specs
- 12TB per tape or 30TB when the data is compressed
- Uses IBM-LTO-8 Ultrium Drive
- 30-year tape longevity
- LTFS compatible
- Supports AES 256-bit encryption
- Supports WORM cartridges
- Tape creation speeds up to 360MB/s transfer rates
- Add an optional 2.5/3.5-inch HDD or SSD for up to 16TB
- Second Thunderbolt 3 port for adding up to five additional Thunderbolt devices
- DisplayPort 1.4 supports up to an 8K display
- Charges connected laptops at 85W
- Built in handles for easy transport
OWC says that the 10-year total cost of ownership of LTO tape-based archiving provides 577% ROI. This is due to a cheaper cost per terabyte and long life expectancy of stored data.
Where to buy
Customers can configure the drive with 10TB, 12TB, and 16TB HDD; 1TB, 2TB, and 4TB SSD; or order the drive without a staging drive. The Mercury Pro LTO is available to order now from MacSales.com for $4,499 and includes the myLTO software, LTO-8 tape and cleaning cartridge.