Apple to refresh Power Mac G5 product-line this week [updated 6:40pm]After months of delay, multiple sources are now reporting that Apple plans to update its Power Mac G5 product line as early as tomorrow.
"G5 backorders have gone one step further," one source said. "Apple has actually stopped reseller orders on the models." Resellers attempting to place orders for the current Power Mac G5 offerings are being put on a waiting list and told to expect more information "later this week."
A second sources states that certain resellers have been told by their regional Apple representative to expected refreshes to the Power Mac G5 line on Tuesday, June 8th.
Previous rumors indicate that Apple plans to introduce dual 2.2, 2.4 and 2.6 GHz configurations of the new Power Mac G5s, though AppleInsider is currently unable to positively confirm these plans.
Last week, AppleInsider provided details and photos of the forthcoming Power Macs, and later followed up with a detailed artist rendition of the computers.
According to some of AppleInsider's most reliable sources, Apple is also readying a new line of displays, based on OLED technology, which could be announced alongside the new Power Macs, this week.
OLED (organic light-emitting display) is a display technology, pioneered and patented by Kodak, based on the use of organic polymer material as the semiconductor material in light-emitting diodes (LEDs).
Further details will be published as they become available.
On Topic: General
- Sphero's BB-8 droid from Star Wars rolls into Apple Stores on Friday
- Amazon buys mobile video services firm Elemental Technologies for a reported $500M
- Danny Boyle's 'Steve Jobs' to make early showing at this weekend's Telluride festival
- Judge approves $415M settlement in Silicon Valley anti-poaching lawsuit
- Google Nexus event rumored for Sept. 29 with new phones, Android 6.0