Apple iTMS countdown to 100 million songsAs the number of songs downloaded from Apple's iTunes Music Store crosses 95 million tomorrow, Apple announced that it will begin the countdown to 100 million songs by giving away 50 special 20GB iPodsone to the purchaser of each 100,000th song downloaded between 95 million and 100 million songs. In addition, Apple says the person who downloads the 100 millionth song will receive a 17-inch PowerBook, a 40GB iPod, a gift certificate for 10,000 iTunes songs to create the ultimate music library for their iPod and the opportunity to create their own Celebrity Playlist to be published on the iTunes Music Store. All iTunes Music Store customers in the US, UK, France and Germany are eligible.
As we approach the unprecedented milestone of 100 million legally downloaded songs, we want to thank our customers who have made the iTunes Music Store such a stunning success, said Steve Jobs, Apples CEO. iTunes is pulling even further ahead of its competitors, and it's all due to the wonderful customers we have.
The iTunes Music Store is the worlds top online music service, with more than a 70 percent market share of legal downloads for singles and albums. iTunes will sell its 95 millionth song tomorrow, including over 1.5 million songs sold in the UK, France and Germany since iTunes was launched in Europe two weeks ago.
On Topic: General
- This week on AI: Apple Car secrets, iPhone & iPad launch dates, a Dr. Dre TV show & more
- Bug in Adobe Creative Cloud updater erases root level Mac data
- Apple, Inc set to open new $25 million tech center in Hyderabad, India by June
- Apple Music passes 11M subscribers as iCloud hits 782M users
- AppleInsider podcast talks 'Apple Car,' iPhone's future, software betas, iPad Pro keyboards, more