Monday, July 19, 2004, 10:00 am PT (01:00 pm ET)
Duke University freshman to get iPods [Updated]Following its announcement of the 4th-generation iPods this morning, Apple Computer, Inc. that this fall Duke University will give iPods to all incoming freshman.
"Duke will hand out approximately 1,800 iPods that will be pre-loaded with Duke-related content and will allow students to download supplementary university material in addition to being able to play music," according to CBSMarketWatch report.
Mac enthusiast site, MacRumors had hinted at such a deal in an unconfirmed blurb published by the publication last week.
A customized version of the iTunes Music Store will reportedly allow students to buy music and download class information.
Duke and Apple have characterized the effort as a pilot program, but said that students will be able to keep their iPods either way.
On Topic: General
- Google agreed to pick up tab for some Samsung legal fees, take on liability in case of loss
- Lytro's next-gen $1500 Illum 'light-field' camera bolstered by dedicated Mac software, Aperture support
- Apple tech takes on distracted driving, blocks users from texting while behind the wheel
- Apple print ad touts environmental responsibility, pokes fun at Samsung [u]
- Apple Store logos and employee uniforms go green for Earth Day