Monday, July 19, 2004, 10:00 am PT (01:00 pm ET)
Duke University freshman to get iPods [Updated]Following its announcement of the 4th-generation iPods this morning, Apple Computer, Inc. that this fall Duke University will give iPods to all incoming freshman.
"Duke will hand out approximately 1,800 iPods that will be pre-loaded with Duke-related content and will allow students to download supplementary university material in addition to being able to play music," according to CBSMarketWatch report.
Mac enthusiast site, MacRumors had hinted at such a deal in an unconfirmed blurb published by the publication last week.
A customized version of the iTunes Music Store will reportedly allow students to buy music and download class information.
Duke and Apple have characterized the effort as a pilot program, but said that students will be able to keep their iPods either way.
On Topic: General
- Patent holdings firm WiLAN loses second suit against Apple
- Apple opens iTunes donations for 'City of Hope' cancer charity, moves beyond natural disaster relief
- PayPal purportedly cut out of Apple Pay due to partnership with Samsung
- Pebble smartwatch gets $50 price cut, background tracking for fitness & sleep
- Microsoft looks to distance itself from Windows 8, jumps to Windows 10