Outage hits Apple during Christmas rushA mid-day power outage knocked Apples inventory and management systems offline on Friday, severing the companys links to credit card processing networks around the world.
The outage also interrupted sales at the company's retail stores during what is considered by analysts to be one of the three highest-grossing days of the holiday shopping season.
One tipster told AppleInsider the outage lasted approximately two hours where he or she was located. Meanwhile, a post on the ifoAppleStore Web site offers an account from one retail store where the outage lasted over 30 minutes.
"The outage forced retail store staffers to manually process credit card purchases for over 30 minutes, slowing the POS process to a crawl," ifo reported. "Meanwhile, the already-long lines at some stores snaked out the front door, discouraging new customers from coming inside to make purchases."
There is no word on what caused the power outage.
On Topic: General
- Apple's Tim Cook pans supply chain cost 'guesstimators'
- iPhone and Mac to shine in Apple's Q2 2015 earnings, analyst says
- Google Maps Easter egg shows Android mascot urinating on Apple logo [updated]
- AppleInsider podcast discusses Apple Watch shipments, 12" MacBook review, more
- Final Cut creator Randy Ubillos leaves Apple after 20 years