Apple slashes 20-inch PowerPC iMac pricingFirst on AI — In a move aimed at depleting inventory of older PowerPC Macs, Apple Computer on Wednesday slashed the price of its 20-inch 2.1GHz PowerPC-based iMac desktop.
The 20-inch PowerPC iMac now carries a suggest retail price of $1499 — a $200 price reduction from $1699 — Apple told its reseller partners in the United States. Apple also reduced the cost of the model in several other regions, AppleInsider was told.
Meanwhile, the company\'s 17-inch PowerPC iMac pricing remained unchanged. According to contacts, Apple has had little problem clearing inventory of this model at its original suggested retail price of $1299.
Last week limited inventories caused Apple to halt large reseller orders of the 17-inch PowerPC model in the United States. The model was also declared \"end-of-life.\"
Apple\'s online store will continue to offer both the 17-inch and 20-inch PowerPC iMacs for individual customer orders while supplies last. The desktops are priced at $1299 and $1499, respectively.
Shoppers looking for additional savings may turn to Amazon.com, which is offering its customers $125 back on the 17-inch model ($1174.99) and $150 off the 20-inch ($1349.99).
On Topic: General
- Cellphone, data and landline services down for many in southeastern US [u]
- Apple pays $138 million for 43-acre building plot in San Jose tech corridor
- Audi, BMW, Daimler officially buy Nokia Here maps in deal valued at $3.07B
- Tech shuttle drivers approve Teamsters contract, Apple working with contractors to raise pay
- This week on AppleInsider: Apple Watch at Best Buy, Apple Music numbers, Apple TV news & more